Plac Gwarków 1, 40-166 Katowice, Poland
Head of Department
The Department of Solid Fuels Quality Assessment has worked continuously since 1945.
Its highly skilled personnel, modern equipment and efficient management system ensure the accuracy, timeliness and reliability of the performed tests.
The Department conducts tests of solid fuels, solid biofuels, solid secondary fuels, mixtures of solid biofuels and solid secondary fuels with solid fuels and of waste (code 10 01 excluding 10 01 09).
The Department has:
- the Certificate of a Research Laboratory Accreditation issued by the Polish Centre for Accreditation, confirming the meeting of the requirements of the PN-EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 + Ap1:2007 + AC: 2007 standard (accreditation number: AB 069);
- the Certificate of Approval issued by Lloyd's Register (Poland) Sp. z o.o. on behalf of Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance Limited, certifying that the Quality Management System is in compliance with the ISO 9001:2008 standard (Certificate of Approval number: GDK0003151/Q).
The Department of Solid Fuels Quality Assessment provides services in the field of:
- Physical-chemical analyses of deposit and sortment hard coals as well as of other solid fuels, such as lignite, coke, semi-coke, hard coal and lignite briquettes, solid biofuels, solid secondary fuels and mixtures of solid biofuels and a solid secondary fuels with coal;
- Technical analysis:
- transient moisture determination Wexr,
- moisture determination in the analytical sample Wa,
- calculating the total moisture Wtr (using Wexr and Wa),
- determination of ash content Aa,
- determination of total sulphur content Sta,
- determination of total sulphur content with the Eschka method,
- determination of combustion heat and the calorific value Qsa, Qir,
- Physical-chemical analysis:
- determination of volatile elements Va,
- calculation the content of combustible elements (using Wa and Aa),
- actual density determination dra,
- calculation of the fixedcarbon Cfixed indicator (using the Wa, Aa and Va),
- Hardgrove's indicator of grinding susceptibility determination HGI,
- determination of the ash characteristic fusibility temperature,
- determination of the maximum capacity of the moisture absorption Wmax,
- Elemental analysis:
- determination of total carbon content Cta,
- calculation of the organic carbon content (using Cta and WCO2),
- determination of total hydrogen content Hta,
- determination of the nitrogen content Na,
- calculation of the oxygen content Oda (using the Wa, Aa, Cta, Hta, SCa),
- determination of the carbonate CO2 content WCO2,
- calculation of the carbonate carbon content WC (using WCO2),
- determination of sulphate sulphur (VI) SSO4a,
- determination of the pyrite sulphur content Spa,
- calculation of organic sulphur in hard coal and lignite Soa (using Sta, SSO4a and Spa),
- determination of the ash sulphur content SAa (also using the Aa),
- calculation of combustible sulphur SCa (using the Sta and SAa),
- determination of the chlorine content Cla,
- determination of the biodegradable fraction content.
- Petrographic analysis :
- determination of the vitrinite reflectance Ro,
- determination of the composition of groups of macerals and of mineral substance.
- Analysis of coking parameters:
- determination of the capacity of caking with the Rogi method RI,
- Gray-King's determination of the type of coke GK,
- determination of the dilatometric indicators by Audibert-Arnu,
- determination of the swelling indicator SI,
- determination of the status plastic indicators according to Gieselera-Hoehnego,
- determination of plastometric properties using a plastometer with a fixed torque rotation,
- determination of plastometer icindicators according to Sapożnikow,
- no pressure of the Pmax relaxation.
- Coal type analysis.
- The determination of the international classification of coals.
- The designation of the international code.
- Assessment of the composition and properties of ash from coals.
- Analysis of ash and slags form utility boilers.
Other specialist tests outside accreditation:
- Composition of maceral groups and mineral substance with the semifusinite content designation.
- Maceral composition.
- Composition of microlithotype, carbominerite and minerite.
- Maximum and minimum vitrinite reflectacne (determination of anisotropy)Rmax.
- Designation of ash sulphur content in solid biofuels and solid secondary fuels.
- Designation of sand content.
- Designation of losses at calcination.
- Total moisture content with the distillation method.
- Apparent density.
- Forecast of coke strength with the Schapiro method for one-component coal.
- Effectiveness of low-temperature carbonization products.
- Grain analysis with the screening method.
- Density analysis.
- Free calcium oxide content.
- Designation of the transport susceptibility index.
- Bright coal content.
- Stone content in coal.
- Magnetic weights analysis.
- Heat capacity of solids.
- Spontaneous combustion indicator.
- Angle of repose.
- Nitrogen content with the Kjeldahl method.
- Bulk density in coal, in coke from coal, in solid biofuel and in solid secondary fuel.
- Enrichment tests.
- Laboratory sieve checks.
- Production and distribution of standard and control samples.
- Analyses of solid fuels and furnance waste for the purpose of CO2 emissions;
- Waste analyses (code: 10 01 excluding 10 01 09);
- Performing analyses for arbitration samples in disputes;
- Comprehensive tests organization, in cooperation with other laboratories of the Central Mining Institute;
- Perforing proficiency testing by interlaboratory comparison of coal, solid biofuel and solid secondary fuels.
The Department of Solid Fuels Quality Assessment offers:
Training in the system of monitoring and controlling the quality of solid fuels in accordance with the proposed new legal acts;
- The training covers issues related to the law of 5 August 2006 on the system of monitoring and controling the quality of fuels (Dz. U. Nr 169, poz. 1200 - Journal of Laws No 169, item 1200) and with the following regulations:
- Regulation of the Minister of Economy on quality requirements for solid fuels;
- Regulation of the Minister of Economy on collecting samples of solid fuels;
- Regulation of the Minister of Economy on the methods of testing the quality of solid fuels.
- The training is intended for people interested not only in the monitoring of solid fuels, but also in their control and methods of collection, preparation and examination of samples of solid fuels in accordance with the current, latest regulations.
- Trainings on the rules of storage, maintenance and fuel stock control in enterprises — privileges and regulatory experience;
- Trainings on the impact of factors arising from the quality of the fuel on the combustion process;
- Training for sample collectors in the field of technical standards PN and ISO;
- Practical training on research stations for laboratory staff and quality control departments;
- The aim of the practical training at research stations:
- Certification of samplers.
The Certification Body of the Central Mining Institute on 23 November 2011, has been accredited by the Polish Centre for Accreditation (AC 145) in the area of certification of the competence of samplers, for sampling the following:
- hard coal,
- coke, semi-coke,
- solid secondary fuels,
- solid biofuels,
- furnace waste.