Division of Ecological Researches is a part of Department of Environmental Monitoring in Central Mining Institute. Institute has implemented certified Integrated Management System according the requirements of PN-EN ISO 9001, PN-N-18001 and PN-EN ISO 14001. The credibility of research and technical competence of the Laboratory has been also certified by accredited No. AB 145.
Division performs field works including:
- Collecting of environmental samples of grounds, soils, water and wastewater;
- Descriptions of geological profiles;
- Researching of permeability index (filtration);
- Researching of the flow of watercourses and filtration coefficient of ground surface;
- Study stability of landfill slopes.
Collecting and transport of samples is carried around the Poland. A team of experienced employees samplers, who are equipped with specialized sets, guarantees high quality of services provided under all conditions.
Division of Ecological Researches offers monitoring of environmental according Polish law. We guarantee the participation and assistance in the process of obtaining administrative decisions.
Division of Ecological Researches prepares evaluations, expert reports and opinions of:
- Contamination of soils and grounds in relation to quality standards;
- State of the investment areas;
- The quality of surface water and groundwater;
- Basic characteristics of the waste to deposition;
- Economic deposition of waste underground and on the ground surface;
- The possibility of using recycled aggregates;
- Determine the suitability of mineral wastes for their use as aggregates in building, road construction and as a raw material in industries;
- The possibility of using various types of waste as alternative fuels;
- The possibility of using municipal sewage sludge;
- Binders used in underground construction.
Division of Ecological Researches uses modern equipment and uses highly specialized software to interpretation of the measurement results and visualization.
Employees working in the Division of Ecological Researches have wide expertise and years of experience. The team includes specialists in geology, hydrogeology, physics and environmental protection. They have powers of experts from a list of Silesian Governor for the protection of nature, the preparation of environmental impact assessments, as well as the powers of the Minister of the Environment in the field of hydrogeology.
Division of Ecological Researches performs field works including:
- contamination of soils and grounds in relation to quality standards;
- state of the investment areas;
- the quality of surface water and groundwater;
- basic characteristics of the waste to deposition;
- economic deposition of waste underground and on the ground surface;
- the possibility of using recycled aggregates;
- determine the suitability of mineral wastes for their use as aggregates in building, road construction and as a raw material in industries;
- the possibility of using various types of waste as alternative fuels;
- the possibility of using municipal sewage sludge;
- binders used in underground construction.
Collecting and transport of samples is carried around whole Poland. A team of experienced employees, who are equipped with specialized sets, guarantees high quality of services provided under all conditions.
- Reports of environmental impact assessments with participation in administrative proceedings in order to obtain the environmental decision;
- Initial reports;
- Environmental reviews;
- Integrated permits;
- Evaluation and opinions on the protection and opportunities for environmentally safe use of waste on the surface and underground mining excavations and recovered raw materials;
- Environmental opinions on binder materials and formulations used in underground mines in the area of voluntary certification for safety mark ""B"";
- Research (identification), and disposal of hazardous waste, eligibility codes corresponding to the hazardous waste or non – hazardous waste;
- Physicochemical analysis of materials, including waste used as an additive for fuels, alternative fuels and renewable fuels;
- Comprehensive monitoring of landfills in the full range of phases resulting from their operation – pre-operational, the operational and the after-closure;
- A comprehensive studies of soil quality and the ground quality to making decisions about way of using or remediation in accordance with applicable standards, together with an assessment of their chemism and their health risks;
- Monitoring the state of environment before investments and also monitoring the state of the degraded post-industry environment (and post-mining) to make decisions about restoration or further use;
- Evaluates corrosivity of water against concrete and steel (on the basis of physical and chemical analysis) and performs tests of water used to prepare concrete, etc.
Highly qualified scientific or technical staff and modern equipment ensure high quality and reliability of research.
- GIS in environmental engineering and environmental management;
- Mobile measurement and analytical platforms using drones;
- Spatial databases for the environment.
- Strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and environmental impact assessment (EIA);
- Inventories, valorisations and natural expertise;
- Environmental screening, with particular emphasis on NATURA 2000 areas.
- System solutions for rainwater management;
- Water resources management programming in the catchment area (Water Framework Directive and Floods Directive);
- Modelling of hydrological phenomena;
- Revitalisation of rivers, management of river areas and hydromorphological assessment;
- Technical and economic concepts and plans for water reservoir revitalisation.
Laboratory of Mineral Processing and Waste Management conducts research and service on the wide mineral engineering. Researches covers issues related to the identification of the chemical composition and mineral compositions and technological characteristics of the mineral and waste. The laboratory is equipped with modern digital scanning electron microscope Hitachi Model SU-3500N included with the EDS and the sputter device and Morphologi G3S-ID Malvern to analyze the size, shape and number of particles of the Raman adapter to identify the chemical composition. Laboratory is working on identification and optimization technical and technological conditions of valorization and acquisition of commercial products from minerals and waste.
Experience of the staff of the laboratory and the technical equipment allows research and optimization following processes on a laboratory scale:
- Froth flotation of suspended coal and other raw materials;
- Sedimentation and refining of the suspensions;
- Conditioning and optimization of the quality parameters of mineral suspensions and sewage sludge for drainage;
- Dewatering mineral suspensions and sludge using method of pressure filtration and vacuum.
We have the technical capabilities to carry out verification tests dewatering processes suspended sediment in the centrifuge and in the filter press in the full industrial scale.
- Innovative technologies for the management of sewage sludge for realization of natural and energy goals;
- Intensification of aerobic and anaerobic sewage sludge digestion at the wastewater treatment plants;
- Technical-economic analysis of technological solution for the sewage sludge digestion;
- Environmental and legal analysis and expertises in terms of the sewage sludge management.
- Preparation of application materials in the field of urban engineering and the environment (application forms, feasibility studies, business plans);
- Analysis and evaluation of economic and ecological effectiveness of investments (e.g. financial analysis, CBA, MCA, DGC);
- Comprehensive administrative decision-making support, including preparation of necessary documents and institutional and social consultations;
- Strategic, programmatic, national, regional and local development (including development strategies, environmental programs, local revitalization programs);
- Analysis of socio-economic, spatial and environmental issues using scenario and foresight methods.
- Technologies for municipal and industrial wastewater treatment;
- Optimization of existing technological solutions and intensification of wastewater treatment processes;
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of water and sewage management (technical concepts and agglomerations plans).
- Water purification technologies for drinking and industrial purposes;
- Environmental and legal analysis and expertise in terms of water utilisation conditions;
- Modelling and qualitative - quantitative balancing of surface water and groundwater;
- Modelling of hydrochemical phenomena.